Before carrying out any marketing activity, learn that you must define objectives and understand your target audience.
- [Instructor] Before you can embark on any marketing activity for your business, you need to understand the big picture. You need some strategic direction and you need SMART objectives, that is, objectives which are specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time related. The other key factor is understanding your target audience, as this guides everything you do in marketing. It's important to have a clear focus on the people you want to target with your product or service. This doesn't stop people from outside that group purchasing from you, but it allows you to focus on creating and distributing content in a way that will resonate more strongly with those who matter most.
Demographics, such as age and gender, are important in defining your target audience, but there are other considerations, such as geography, lifestyle, as well as behavioral factors, such as what do they do online and offline. Online is what websites they use, what email newsletters they sign up to, and of course, their preferred social media platforms. Most agree that the primary purpose of content marketing is to educate, inform, entertain, and guide customers along their journey to purchase. The classic marketing model AIDA can be used to highlight this journey.
Awareness, the first step is awareness. Awareness must generate sufficient interest in the benefits of a product or service to encourage a prospective customer to research it further. Interest is the second stage. The third stage is desire. As the customer learns more, he or she builds an emotional connection with the product and moves from liking it to wanting it. They then move a step closer towards the fourth step, taking action, which hopefully means a purchase. Great content builds trust.
Great content answers the needs of your target audience as they do their research. And great content supports lead generation and new customer acquisition.
- What's content marketing?
- Understanding the power of social media as a platform
- What are the four types of content for social media?
- Distributing content on social media
- Measuring success
- Tips for great content marketing with social media