Join Peter Kent for an in-depth discussion in this video What you should know, part of SEO: Link Building in Depth.
- [Instructor] This course explains how to create links to your website in order to help your site with search engine optimization. That is, to encourage major search engines to rank your webpages high up in the search results. In order to understand the lessons, you'll need some basic knowledge. You'll need to know how to use a web browser, of course, and the basics of using search engines, such as Google, Yahoo, and Bing. You'll also need to understand a little simple HTML. Not a lot, you don't need to be an accomplished web developer, but I'll be showing you the structure of HTML hyperlinks, so you shouldn't be totally lost when we get into that.
Also, while this is primarily about getting links from other sites pointing back to yours, the concepts also apply to links between pages within your own site, so you need to know how to do that, how to use HTML or your editing tool, in order to create and format links. Because keywords are so important to any SEO project, you also need to know how to determine which keywords you should be targeting. This is typically a task undertaken right at the beginning of any SEO project, so it's not something I cover here.
You can learn more about this in my earlier course, Analyzing Your Website to Improve SEO.
- Link popularity
- Page ranking
- Search-related link components
- Perfecting links
- Avoiding problematic links
- Analyzing incoming links to a website
- Using local pages and directories
- Working with bloggers
- Social networking links
- Getting more links
- Paying for links vs. buying links