Decide if affiliate marketing is in line with your organization's marketing goals.
- [Narrator] If you've decided that you'd like to run an affiliate marketing campaign for your product or service, then you have some tough decisions ahead of you. Choosing an affiliate marketing network isn't easy. There are quite a few high quality networks out there and they offer some different features. So let's go over some tips for you to think about when selecting an affiliate marketing platform. First of all, you want to take a look at the payment structure of the different platforms. Some of them run on a cost per click basis and some of them run on a cost per action basis.
Generally speaking if possible, you want cost per action. You only want to be paying out commissions when a user clicks on a link to your product or service and then actually purchases it. We don't want to be paying out commissions just when they click on a link. If we're going to do that, we might as well just do display advertising right? So definitely look for the affiliate marketing networks and platforms that pay out on a cost per action basis. We want to make sure that the platform we're using has robust tracking features so that we can better enhance our marketing efforts in the future.
We want to know where users are coming from, where they navigated on our site, other products or services of ours that they've reviewed. As much information as possible about the customers and potential customers that are going through our affiliate program. You want to look for networks that offer some commission customization. A lot of the affiliate networks have a minimum commission that they pay out to their affiliates, can oftentimes be as high as 50%. Sometimes you can still customize commissions as long as you're meeting that minimum but if you can't, it's nice to find the platforms that allow some flexibility when determining how much you're paying out in commissions.
We want to use affiliate networks that have high quality publishers that are going to market our product or service. We don't want our product or service marketed on some spammy websites that are just built to be a cash cow. We want our affiliates to actually care about our product, trust in our product and really provide authenticity when they're marketing our product to others. So all of the networks I'm going to show you have high quality affiliates and they have quite a bit of a process in place, a screening process set up for when a publisher wants to be an affiliate.
They have to pass certain tests and show that they are a high quality publisher. And finally, reputation. We're going to be putting a lot of trust into these affiliate networks. We're going to have a lot of information in their systems about our products and services so we want to make sure that they have high quality security and that they've stood the test of time and they've shown to be a responsible affiliate network over the course of years. If an affiliate network pops up tomorrow, maybe in a few years that would be a great option but I definitely wouldn't recommend getting into it so early in an affiliate network's lifespan.
This is definitely one of those areas where we want to use platforms that have already shown historically that they can be successful and that they protect the products and services of the merchants.
- Tips for picking the right tool
- Promoting content in social media
- Display and video advertising tools
- Content design and content creation tools
- Top email marketing tools
- SEO tools and techniques
- Top affiliate marketing networks