Join Ian Lurie for an in-depth discussion in this video Showing a trend over time, part of Data Visualization for Marketers.
- [Instructor] Did the campaign improve or get worse?…The quicker you can answer that question, the better.…Luckily this is easy, put up your feet and relax…'cause this is one of the simplest videos…of the entire series.…So you've got this gorgeous revenue chart.…If you look at it as a marketer it's really obvious…revenue went up, that's if you're a marketer,…because you spent three hours collating and organizing…the data.…If you're say a vice president at a 500 person company,…you've spent your day dealing with four employees who came…into your office to complain about the snack selection,…three reports for the CEO, 500 emails and your PNL.…
After that, you get two minutes to look at marketing…revenue, for that person, this isn't so clear.…December revenue is lower than November and that looks bad.…All you have to do to clarify is add a trendline like this.…This shows an improvement in campaign performance…over the last 12 months.…I'd like to emphasize the trendline so I'm going to change…it to solid and change the line graph to dotted.…
- Summarize the mantras of “removing” and “reducing.”
- Identify the best font type to use on slides and charts.
- Explain the undesirable effects of context manipulation.
- Recall which type of chart is most effective at showing trends over time.
- Recognize the best practices strategy for organizing a report.