Learn more about what messaging is and the best practices in creating messaging for your product marketing efforts.
- In an article by Fred Wilson, a venture capitalist…who invested in Twitter, Tumblr and Kickstarter,…he stated marketing is what you do…when your product or service sucks.…I doubt it will surprise you to hear, I disagree.…His theory is that if you build a great product,…the customers will come and they will spread the word.…But Fred is overlooking one incredibly important piece…of selling a product.…Communicating what that product is.…Your messaging is how a consumer comes to interact…with your product to decide if it's right for them.…
This messaging is present at every stage of the funnel…from the first visit to your website or interaction…on an advertisement to the decision to purchase.…It's present in all of your educational materials,…and in every interaction with a consumer.…Now you may be so lucky to never have to spend a dollar…on advertising, but you must have powerful messaging.…Otherwise, even the best products will never connect…with their intended audience.…If the product is misinterpreted,…expectations incorrectly set,…
- Identify the phase when it would be best to spend the most money on marketing.
- Recall the question you must continually consider in the development phase.
- Recognize why it might be a good strategy for a company to do a refresh on a product.
- Recognize when tertiary competitors can pose a risk to your market share.
- Explain where to place a product’s value proposition in a team aligning document.