To help people feel they have social currency, make them feel like an insider or special. In this video, learn the key components of helping others feel like insiders, like sharing exclusive content or scarce information.
- One way to get social currency is to make people feel … like insiders. … So how can you make people feel like insiders? … Well, LinkedIn has done a great job of this as well. … They sent out an email a few years ago that said, … "You have one of the most viewed profiles on the site, … "one of the top 5% or 10% of all people on the website." … Now people who got that email felt pretty good. … "Wow, I'm one of the top 5 or 10%? … "That gives me a lot of status, … "I get a little pat on the back." … But they didn't just feel good. … Tens of thousands of people shared this email with others … because it made them look smart and in the know. … Because it made them look like insiders, … because it made them look special, … they wanted to tell everyone else. … But notice that LinkedIn got to come along for the ride. … But it's not just them either. … Let me tell you the story about the McRib sandwich. … About a decade ago, McDonald's ran out of chicken. … Essentially, Chicken McNuggets were so popular …
- Summarize the advantages of word-of-mouth advertising.
- Identify the six STEPPS to getting people to share.
- Explain the effects of a trigger.
- Describe the function of social proof.
- Recall the most effective strategies for spreading a marketing message.
- Recognize two components in a story meant to help spread a business message.