In this video, uncover ethical standards that are critical for PR pros to uphold in all communications for their companies.
- Words matter.…For any PR professional starting out,…I want to remind you of how important ethics are.…The sheer volume of the messages you share…and how quickly you have to respond to the public…makes it difficult to track how ethical…your messages are.…And, if you do tweet something unethical,…there are severe consequences.…Sure, you can read the PRSA Code of Ethics…and the AMA has ethical guidelines too.…But here's where benchmarking your communication…with ethical standards can really help.…
Start with the truth by asking yourself…three simple questions about your communication…and see if your answers pass the test.…Even if a situation is embarrassing,…do you tell the truth?…Are you being authentic and not deceptive…in what you share?…Do you use open communication…or find yourself making excuses?…Let's try another ethical benchmark: objectivity.…PR is in the business of news,…so objectivity is important…when you're building relationships.…
Ask these questions.…Can you identify impartiality versus bias…in research findings and subsequent communication?…
- Explain the value of developing an audience profile.
- Describe the SWOT model and how it can be used to identify threats.
- Name and summarize the 4Cs of developing effective messaging.
- Summarize how thinking like a journalist helps an organization build media relationships.
- Examine the importance of developing community before a crisis strikes.
- Differentiate between an issue and a crisis.
- Cite ways to stop the spread of fake news.
- Define “post-mortem” and describe its value for identifying lessons learned after a crisis.
Skill Level Beginner
Public Relations Foundations: Media Trainingwith Deirdre Breakenridge1h 25m Intermediate
Launch Your Product to the Presswith Andrea Holland34m 45s Beginner
Marketing Communicationswith Deirdre Breakenridge1h 40m Beginner
1. From PR to PR Expanded
2. Today's Consumers
Developing audience profiles2m 42s
3. The Integrated Approach to PR Planning
4. Relationships and Champions
5. When Crisis Strikes
6. PR Writing Today
7. The Value of PR
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.