Modern lead generation requires different types of technology. Content marketing expert Dayna Rothman will talk you through what kind of requirements you should look for in technology and the role it plays in your lead gen strategy.
- [Instructor] Because there is so much marketing technology available to really help you make your lead generation plans successful, choosing your lead generation technology is a critical part of planning out your lead gen strategy. A modern lead generation strategy requires technology for success. Because there's so many different channels, and so many messages that you have to get across to buyers, investing in technology will really bring your lead generation program to the next level. How do you select and think through the right technology for your business? So the right lead generation technology will enable you to optimize your program spend.
So making sure that you're selecting technology that will help you properly budget your different programs, and pinpoint what programs are performing well. Enabling you to track program ROI. So whether you're doing something on social media, website, or other various programs, there are technologies available to help you consistently track program ROI. Make sure that you're selecting technology that helps save you time, and increase efficiency. Overall, what you don't want is technology that ends up being a huge time-suck for your team.
Select technology that helps you grow your lead generation practice faster. One of the great parts about lead generation technology today, is that many of the platforms will help you scale out your program, and grow it faster. And that's a great reason to select technology as you're starting to build out your different lead generation tactics. And selecting the right technology enables you to do more in-house, versus outsourcing to agencies. Many marketing departments based on budget, or resource availability do outsource some of these programs to agencies.
However, this ends up being not quite as efficient, and it will be not as cost effective. By selecting the right technology, this often enables you to do more in-house with your current team. Thus allowing you to scale. Ultimately, no matter what type of technology you use, you need to be smart about resource planning, because every new piece of technology requires users, requires training, time, and effort. So, for every single technology platform that you purchase, think about the following things: You need somebody that is a platform owner.
So, who on your team specifically owns the rollout, and the usage of that platform? You need to assign users. Aside from the platform owner, who else on your team will be using these platforms? You need to think through training. Just because somebody owns, and is suppose to use that platform, doesn't mean that they are trained. You need to make sure that either the vendor, or yourself sits through and trains your team on how to use the platform, and how that can help the lead generation's success.
You also need to justify your investment. So don't just get tool for the sake of getting tools. You need to make sure that every piece of technology that you purchase has an end goal, and that you are able to justify the investment in each tool. Then you will need to determine return on investment for that particular platform. All the platforms that you select will have a specific ROI. It might not necessary be revenue generating. However, it might be efficiency, or scalability, or ability to save money or budget.
All these things we factor into determining the ROI for a particular technology platform. So just be smart about resource planning as you're selecting what different tools to use. There's really so many options here that you need to narrow it down, and you need to make sure that you're properly allocating attention and resources.
- Identifying funnel stages
- Defining key goals and metrics
- Deciding on an approach
- Building a lead generation plan and a team
- Aligning with stakeholders
- Choosing a lead generation technology
- Building attractive content
- Generating leads with blogs and social media
- Creating an SEO strategy
- Tracking ad performance
- Increasing visibility through events
- Using paid ads and direct mail
- Qualifying leads
- Measuring campaign effectiveness