In this video, learn the best approach to building relationships with media through traditional and new media channels.
- I remember hearing the rise of these citizen journalists…will be the death of traditional journalism.…Well, they were right about the rise of bloggers,…but journalists from traditional media outlets…are followed more closely today…online and through social media,…and I know plenty of CEOs…who still want to be in The Wall Street Journal.…These executives are also happy to be featured in Mashable…or provide comments for TechCrunch.…Whether it's older or newer media, it's all media,…and you have to build relationships.…
Pitching success depends on your reliability,…and your credibility.…This means you have to do your homework.…With access to rich online data,…research media to see what they write,…what interests their audience,…and what trends they follow.…Know how they're interacting.…Dive in and dig past the first page…of your Google search results,…and review their passion of conversations on social media.…You need to follow all types of media.…Here's where you can build a relationship…even before you pitch.…
Follow the media on social media.…
- Explain the value of developing an audience profile.
- Describe the SWOT model and how it can be used to identify threats.
- Name and summarize the 4Cs of developing effective messaging.
- Summarize how thinking like a journalist helps an organization build media relationships.
- Examine the importance of developing community before a crisis strikes.
- Differentiate between an issue and a crisis.
- Cite ways to stop the spread of fake news.
- Define “post-mortem” and describe its value for identifying lessons learned after a crisis.
Skill Level Beginner
Public Relations Foundations: Media Trainingwith Deirdre Breakenridge1h 25m Intermediate
Launch Your Product to the Presswith Andrea Holland34m 45s Beginner
Marketing Communicationswith Deirdre Breakenridge1h 40m Beginner
1. From PR to PR Expanded
2. Today's Consumers
Developing audience profiles2m 42s
3. The Integrated Approach to PR Planning
4. Relationships and Champions
5. When Crisis Strikes
6. PR Writing Today
7. The Value of PR
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.