In this video, learn how to use a SWOT analysis to fix communication issues and to move forward with valuable information for your audiences.
- You have a communication issue that you need to fix fast.…But you don't know exactly what's wrong…with the messaging or campaign.…To uncover what's working and what's not working…in your program start with a SWOT analysis.…I also call this the fix it to move forward approach.…For this activity download the SWOT analysis…handout in the exercise files.…SWOT stands for strengths, weaknesses,…opportunities, and threats.…Let's dig into these different parts.…
Start with S to take a look at your internal strengths.…Then, ask yourself a few questions,…like what are your strengths as a brand?…And what do you do better than your competitors?…Are you communicating this clearly?…What unique capabilities and resources do you possess…in your communications process?…And is your team communicating with confidence?…And are they your passionate advocates?…These questions extract what you're doing well…in your program, so you can continue with the same approach.…
You're building on your team's communication strengths.…But how do you identify your internal weaknesses?…
- Explain the value of developing an audience profile.
- Describe the SWOT model and how it can be used to identify threats.
- Name and summarize the 4Cs of developing effective messaging.
- Summarize how thinking like a journalist helps an organization build media relationships.
- Examine the importance of developing community before a crisis strikes.
- Differentiate between an issue and a crisis.
- Cite ways to stop the spread of fake news.
- Define “post-mortem” and describe its value for identifying lessons learned after a crisis.
Skill Level Beginner
Public Relations Foundations: Media Trainingwith Deirdre Breakenridge1h 25m Intermediate
Launch Your Product to the Presswith Andrea Holland34m 45s Beginner
Marketing Communicationswith Deirdre Breakenridge1h 40m Beginner
1. From PR to PR Expanded
2. Today's Consumers
Developing audience profiles2m 42s
3. The Integrated Approach to PR Planning
4. Relationships and Champions
5. When Crisis Strikes
6. PR Writing Today
7. The Value of PR
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.