First, learn the importance of consumer behavior in helping us understand when, why, and how purchasing decisions are made. Michael shares how factors such as color, shape, and sound influence our perception of brands and products. He discusses gender identity and products geared towards different genders, as well as how consumer lifestyles, values, and attitudes affect product preferences. Michael also goes into external influences on consumer behavior, covering how groups make decisions and how ideas spread. Finally, Michael explores the role emotion plays in purchase decisions, and how you can structure messages to maximize persuasion.
- Sensory marketing as a strategic tool
- How gender identity can affect product choice
- Personality and brand image
- Decision-making in groups
- Retailing as theater
- How ideas spread through the market
- Persuasive communications
- Influencing consumer behavior
Skill Level Intermediate
- Do you ever wonder what drives your customer to buy from you? Or what drives them to buy from your competitors instead? Or how about your own purchase decisions? Are you what you buy? Welcome to the world of consumer behavior. I'm Michael Solomon, and I've been studying the topic of consumer behavior for many years. I'm a marketing professor at Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia, and also the author of Consumer Behavior: Buying, Having, and Being, which is the most widely used textbook on this subject in the world.
In this course, I'm going to share some of the secrets that drive people to buy from you. We're going to see how different internal and external forces influence our choices. You'll be able to apply these ideas to your own business, and maybe even to your own buying decisions. So please join me as we explore the fascinating world of consumer behavior.