Join Peter Kent for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding the Panda and Penguin updates, part of Analyzing Your Website to Improve SEO.
- Early in 2011, Google began making significant…changes to the way that it ranked websites.…It released a variety of updates to its ranking algorithm,…most notably in what was known as the Panda update.…Google has had thousands of updates over the years,…and in most cases doesn't publicly name them.…But when they do really significant updates…that they want to announce to the world,…they often do give them a codename.…In the case of Panda, the update was named…after Navneet Panda, one of the more influential…engineers in that particular update.…
The Panda update, which was rolled out in phases…over a number of months, was extremely significant…because it did something quite new.…Until Panda, Google was essentially focused on page ranking…based on keywords. When somebody searched for…particular keywords, Google tried to find the pages…that best matched those keywords.…With Panda though, Google added a step.…It is now also trying to eliminate pages…based on other non-keyword factors.…Pages that may be a perfect keyword match…
This course was updated on 10/12/2012.
- Understanding why indexing is important
- Using the Google AdWords Keyword Tool
- Dealing with frames, iframes, and popups
- Working with SEO-friendly URLs
- Using meta tags
- Clearing source code clutter
- Building links within the site
- Working with Google+
- Reviewing page content
- Building and submitting an HTML and XML sitemap
- Garnering links outside the site
Skill Level Intermediate
This course was updated on 10/12/2012. What changed?
We added three movies to keep the course as current as possible. The new movies cover rich snippets, the Panda/Penguin upgrades to the Google search algorithm, and incorporating Google+ into your marketing and search engine optimization strategies.