Learn today's public relations techniques and best practices with PR expert Deirdre Breakenridge. In this detailed course, she explains how social media has revolutionized public relations, and offers an effective eight-step workflow you can use to ensure you're sharing the right message with the right audience. Learn how to build a PR plan, develop and optimize messaging, and engage everyone in the media, from reporters to bloggers and influencers. Next, see how to manage relationships and your organization's reputation; amplify awareness with the aid of internal and external "champions"; and plan for, and gracefully navigate, crises. Finally, explore the differences between a news release and a social media release, check out effective visual storytelling techniques for new media, and see how to measure and share PR outcomes.
- Understanding public relations
- Exploring new channels and choices
- Combining trusted research with new media
- Developing audience profiles and buyer personas
- Understanding communications channels and audience engagement
- Understanding earned, owned, shared, and paid media
- Building internal employee champions and reputation management
- Relying on great relationships when crisis strikes
- Issues management vs. crisis management
- Dealing with the media during a crisis
- Visual storytelling in PR: videos, infographics, images, and more
- Best practices for crafting social media posts
- Tying PR measurement to business goals
- Reporting results to execs and other stakeholders
- Uncovering modern-day communication roles and responsibilities
Skill Level Beginner
- [Deirdre] In the noisy and media-saturated world that we live in today, it's more important than ever to communicate with your customers and other stakeholders to help them understand your story. Public relations is one of the best ways to get recognized, build loyalty, and encourage advocacy, and that's what this course is all about. I'm Deirdre Breakenridge and I've been teaching, consulting, and writing about public relations for over 25 years. I've worked with companies all around the world to help them incorporate digital and social media into their PR and communications approach in a meaningful way.
In this course, I want to share with you the fundamentals of public relations. We'll look at the elements of a PR plan, building relationships beyond traditional media, reputation management, planning for and navigating crisis, and measuring PR outcomes. PR isn't all about news releases or spinning your stories. It's about planning strategically and building solid relationships to help increase credibility, trust, brand health, customer satisfaction, and so much more.
So, let's get started with Public Relations Fundamentals.