Join Deirdre Breakenridge for an in-depth discussion in this video Dealing with the media during a crisis, part of Public Relations Foundations (2014).
- Working with the media today, means being prepared…and available to answer critical questions…as well as sharing important crisis updates or details.…Delivering credible and timely information…is a critical part of your crisis communication program.…However, you have to map out the best ways…to engage with the media in advance…so they'll help your organization…to deliver public communication more effectively…at a time when speed and accuracy are paramount.…
Here are five best practices for you to consider…when dealing with media professionals during a crisis.…First, establish your hub for information.…When crisis strikes you really need to engage the media…the right way.…Today, it's the media, bloggers, and influencers,…who are out there looking for information…especially during a crisis.…Because so many different areas of the company communicate…as a result of social media,…it's imperative to establish a media headquarters or hub.…
You have to know exactly who, your crisis team,…is communicating officially about the crisis situation…
Learn today's public relations techniques and best practices with PR expert Deirdre Breakenridge. In this detailed course, she explains how social media has revolutionized public relations, and offers an effective eight-step workflow you can use to ensure you're sharing the right message with the right audience. Learn how to build a PR plan, develop and optimize messaging, and engage everyone in the media, from reporters to bloggers and influencers. Next, see how to manage relationships and your organization's reputation; amplify awareness with the aid of internal and external "champions"; and plan for, and gracefully navigate, crises. Finally, explore the differences between a news release and a social media release, check out effective visual storytelling techniques for new media, and see how to measure and share PR outcomes.
- Explain two ways to raise credibility.
- Define research.
- Identify the steps to take when auditing social media communication.
- Describe the thinking process PR professionals should use when developing messages and optimizing content.
- Recognize three strategies for becoming a trusted source for journalists and bloggers.
- Differentiate between issue management and crisis management.
- Explain how to create effective infographics.
- Identify the important of understanding data and analytics.
Skill Level Beginner
1. Moving from PR and PR 2.0 to PR Expanded
2. Researching Today's Consumers
3. Learning the Integrated Approach to PR Planning
4. Developing Relationships and Building Champions
5. When Crisis Strikes
6. PR Writing Today
7. Finding the ROI and the Value of PR
Conclusion: Becoming the Modern-Day Communicator
Next steps3m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.