Join Anson Alexander for an in-depth discussion in this video Checking for sitemaps on competitor websites, part of Spying with SEO Tools.
- Sitemaps are files that show search engines…the structure of a website,…and informs search engines…how often they should recrawl pages…to see if they've been updated.…There may be some information you can gather from sitemaps,…in terms of what's important to your competitor…and how they've prioritized their website,…but, for the most part, we've found this information,…throughout this course,…using other more user-friendly tools, so, for this video,…we're simply checking to make sure…that your website does have a sitemap,…and we'll also check one of our top competitors as well…just to see how well they've developed their website.…
Sitemaps are really, really important for SEO.…They're pretty much a must-have,…which is why I'm including this in the course,…even though the research value we gain from sitemaps…may be minimal.…To check the status of your sitemap,…and those of your competitors,…head on over to seositecheckup.com.…This is a tool that can be used to gain…a lot of useful information about websites,…including sitemap information.…
Author Anson Alexander explains what to look for when researching a competitor's SEO presence and website traffic. He then shows how to find both paid and organic keywords that competitors are targeting. Then learn how to find out what is driving traffic to a competitor's site, evaluate on-page SEO factors and usability, understand how competitors' social media platforms contribute, and monitor for new entries into the market.
- The benefits of researching competitor's SEO
- Researching competitors and their website traffic data
- Finding keywords targeted by competitors
- Reviewing incoming links and social media
- Checking out sitemaps
- Using competitor SEO data