Join Brad Batesole for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding ROI, part of Google AdWords Essential Training (2017).
- Whatever reason you're using AdWords,…it's important to measure your…return on investment, or ROI.…Knowing your ROI helps you evaluate…whether the money you're spending on AdWord's…advertising is meeting your advertising objectives.…Let's talk about what ROI is.…ROI is the ratio of your net profit to your costs.…It's one of the most important measurements for you…because it demonstrates the real effect…your efforts have on your business.…If you're seeing a positive ROI,…you can continue to scale your advertising campaigns.…
If you're seeing a negative ROI,…it's time to identify what's wrong and fix it.…There are multiple ways to calculate ROI,…but the most common is to take…Revenue minus Cost of Goods Sold…divided by Cost of Goods Sold.…In the land and hotel example,…we'll assume that we charge a customer…$300 for a night at the hotel.…And the cost to supply that hotel is $200.…So our ROI is $300 minus $200 divided by 200…and that gets us a 50% ROI which means…for every one dollar you spend, you get $1.50 back.…
Once you've set up your campaign, you'll learn how to use AdWords reporting and Google Analytics to monitor the performance of ads and optimize ads to get more clicks, conversions, and ultimately more return on your investment (ROI) in search advertising. Plus, learn about audience remarketing and what ad extensions can do for you.
Because Google frequently adds new features and functionality, we're committed to keeping this course up to date with the latest training. Check back often for updates!
This course is part of a Learning Path approved by the American Marketing Association.
Gain the skills you need to become an AMA Professional Certified Marketer (PCM) in Digital Marketing by using the industry-leading courses and resources in the Learning Path. Take the AMA certification exam to show that you have what it takes to lead the digital transformation.
- Understanding Quality Score and the auction system
- Setting realistic expectations for your AdWords campaigns
- Creating an AdWords account
- Researching keywords with the Keyword Planner tool
- Setting campaign budgets and bidding
- Writing great ad headlines and copy
- Using ad groups
- Creating and exporting reports
- Measuring ROI
- Setting up Google Analytics for conversion tracking
- Optimizing ads
- Adjusting bids
- Creating a remarketing campaign
- Using ad extensions
Skill Level Beginner
Q: What are ad formats?
Q: This course was updated on 1/04/2016. What changed?
A: We added one new movie covering the Audience Insights feature.
Q: This course was updated on 06/29/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: an overview of AdWords, where ads appear, understanding the AdWords structure, understanding quality score and the auction system, choosing a campaign, an overview of ad extensions, advanced campaign settings, writing your text ad, and creating an ad group and adding keywords. In addition, new videos were added that cover creating text ads and finalizing a campaign.
Q: This course was updated on 09/05/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover upcoming changes to AdWords, brainstorming keyword ideas, using Google Keyword Planner for ideas, getting keyword search volume with Google Keyword Planner, and targeting on AdWords by household income. In addition, the following topics were updated: setting up an account, targeting with keywords, connecting Google Analytics, and setting up campaign experiments.