Join Brad Batesole for an in-depth discussion in this video How keywords work, part of Google AdWords Essential Training (2017).
- The majority of your advertising…will use keywords as the primary method…for attracting customers.…So before we start talking about building…our first campaign, we need to talk about keywords.…Keywords are words or phrases that are used…to match your ads with the terms…people are searching for.…These will be the true foundation of your campaigns,…so selecting high quality, relevant keywords…for your advertising campaigns…can help you reach the customers you want…when you want to reach them.…Having the right keywords in your campaigns…can be the difference between a profitable campaign…and one that just wastes your money.…
Earlier, we ran some searches on Google…using the keywords eyeglass repair…and iPhone repair.…These delivered advertisements…that were related to those terms,…but as simple as that sounds,…it's important that we dig deeper…to really understand the nuances…in selecting keywords.…One of the biggest mistakes is assuming…that keywords that mean roughly the same thing…will perform the same.…Let's say you're in the pre-owned vehicles business.…
Once you've set up your campaign, you'll learn how to use AdWords reporting and Google Analytics to monitor the performance of ads and optimize ads to get more clicks, conversions, and ultimately more return on your investment (ROI) in search advertising. Plus, learn about audience remarketing and what ad extensions can do for you.
Because Google frequently adds new features and functionality, we're committed to keeping this course up to date with the latest training. Check back often for updates!
This course is part of a Learning Path approved by the American Marketing Association.
Gain the skills you need to become an AMA Professional Certified Marketer (PCM) in Digital Marketing by using the industry-leading courses and resources in the Learning Path. Take the AMA certification exam to show that you have what it takes to lead the digital transformation.
- Understanding Quality Score and the auction system
- Setting realistic expectations for your AdWords campaigns
- Creating an AdWords account
- Researching keywords with the Keyword Planner tool
- Setting campaign budgets and bidding
- Writing great ad headlines and copy
- Using ad groups
- Creating and exporting reports
- Measuring ROI
- Setting up Google Analytics for conversion tracking
- Optimizing ads
- Adjusting bids
- Creating a remarketing campaign
- Using ad extensions
Skill Level Beginner
Q: What are ad formats?
Q: This course was updated on 1/04/2016. What changed?
A: We added one new movie covering the Audience Insights feature.
Q: This course was updated on 06/29/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: an overview of AdWords, where ads appear, understanding the AdWords structure, understanding quality score and the auction system, choosing a campaign, an overview of ad extensions, advanced campaign settings, writing your text ad, and creating an ad group and adding keywords. In addition, new videos were added that cover creating text ads and finalizing a campaign.
Q: This course was updated on 09/05/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover upcoming changes to AdWords, brainstorming keyword ideas, using Google Keyword Planner for ideas, getting keyword search volume with Google Keyword Planner, and targeting on AdWords by household income. In addition, the following topics were updated: setting up an account, targeting with keywords, connecting Google Analytics, and setting up campaign experiments.