Join Brad Batesole for an in-depth discussion in this video Before getting started, part of Google AdWords Essential Training.
- In this course, we'll be talking about the concepts and strategies behind Google AdWords, and I'll also be showing you, step-by-step, how to get from setting up an account, to measuring and optimizing your campaigns. We'll be using some fictitious websites and accounts to help demonstrate ideas and techniques, and we'll spend quite a bit of time inside the interface itself. Throughout this course, we'll be using terminologies specific to online marketing and advertising. As we encounter new terms and concepts, I'll do my best to explain them, but I'm going to assume that you have a foundational understanding of terms such as cost-per-click, cost-per-acquisition, click-through rate, and so on.
If you'd like to brush up before advancing deeper into AdWords, take a look at chapter two of my course, Online Marketing Fundamentals. I spend several minutes outlining most of the concepts we'll be encountering in this course. Another thing to note before we begin, is that the AdWords interface changes fairly often. You might find that a tab name or a button that we're talking about, has moved or even been renamed. This is the nature of a constantly changing product. AdWords may introduce new features and shift elements on the screen around, in an effort to make the product better and better.
Now, it's my goal to keep this course as up-to-date as possible, but if you don't see something exactly as it appears on my screen, it's probably not too far away. I suggest tapping into a nearby menu, or clicking on an unfamiliar icon to see if you can find it. Please also consider leaving feedback on this course if you find a page or a screen to be significantly different. You can also reach me on Twitter, @BradBatesole. If you get stuck, have a question, or would like a pointer, feel free to send me a tweet.
With that said, I know you're probably eager to roll up your sleeves, and dive headfirst into creating your first advertisement. But we're going to spend the next several chapters talking about the framework of Google AdWords. I feel that it's extremely important to know inside and out, what goes on behind the scenes: how the process works, and how to get organized before starting. AdWords is a paid platform, and you'll save considerable amounts of money by understanding the ins and outs. At the surface, Google AdWords looks pretty straightforward, but make no mistake, AdWords is an extremely powerful platform used by everyone from small businesses, to Fortune 500s.
Stray click or an incorrect setting, and it spell disaster for your project. So I'm asking you to resist the urge to skip through these sections. They're here to set you up for success.
Once you've set up your campaign, you'll learn how to use AdWords reporting and Google Analytics to monitor the performance of ads and optimize ads to get more clicks, conversions, and ultimately more return on your investment (ROI) in search advertising. Plus, learn about audience remarketing and what ad extensions can do for you.
Because Google frequently adds new features and functionality, we're committed to keeping this course up to date with the latest training. Check back often for updates!
This course is part of a Learning Path approved by the American Marketing Association.
Gain the skills you need to become an AMA Professional Certified Marketer (PCM) in Digital Marketing by using the industry-leading courses and resources in the Learning Path. Take the AMA certification exam to show that you have what it takes to lead the digital transformation.
- Understanding Quality Score and the auction system
- Setting realistic expectations for your AdWords campaigns
- Creating an AdWords account
- Researching keywords with the Keyword Planner tool
- Setting campaign budgets and bidding
- Writing great ad headlines and copy
- Using ad groups
- Creating and exporting reports
- Measuring ROI
- Setting up Google Analytics for conversion tracking
- Optimizing ads
- Adjusting bids
- Creating a remarketing campaign
- Using ad extensions
Skill Level Beginner
Q: What are ad formats?
Q: This course was updated on 1/04/2016. What changed?
A: We added one new movie covering the Audience Insights feature.
Q: This course was updated on 06/29/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: an overview of AdWords, where ads appear, understanding the AdWords structure, understanding quality score and the auction system, choosing a campaign, an overview of ad extensions, advanced campaign settings, writing your text ad, and creating an ad group and adding keywords. In addition, new videos were added that cover creating text ads and finalizing a campaign.