- [Voiceover] Optimizing Marketing Emails has been created for anyone who sends emails as part of a marketing effort. You could be an email strategist. You could be a social media marketer, a marketing manager, a transaction manager, as in the person who sends emails once a transaction has taken place, or a community or communication manager, who needs to inform users of new events or new things coming up down the pipeline. So what should you already know? It doesn't hurt to know some HTML and some code editor basics. Now, this can be freehand, as in you can type your own code directly, beginning with your first tag and ending with the closing tag.
Tools like Sublime Text will help you here. Or if you need to use a page or template builder, most email service providers will have one. However, if you don't, feel free to use one like FrontPage. In addition, knowing basic CSS will help you troubleshoot and QA. Wondering why your image and text aren't wrapping properly? This is where CSS comes into play. To have a truly robust email marketing program, you have certain organizational needs. This is how you can get the most effective content to your most important audience. First off, database pulls. You'll need to use your database information to customize your message and customize who you want to send to.
For this reason, you'll need someone who can pull SQL data about members or visitors. You'll also need someone on your design team who can create scalable vector graphics. This way, when someone changes device type, the image looks the same. And finally, it's always a good idea to have some front-end development help. They can always help you out with layout considerations and QA as well, just in case your knowledge gap is too big. For this course, we're going to use mailchimp.com as our primary email service provider. While you may have your own email service provider you use, whether it's Bronto, ExactTarget, MailerMailer, there are countless ones to choose from.
I'm most comfortable using MailChimp, and it's also one of the most popular out there. So we'll use it throughout the course. Ready? Let's get ready.
Optimization strategist Michael Duquet helps you take your newsletters and eblasts and refine them into targeted, revenue-generating emails that your customers actually want to read. He walks you through choosing the best tool for your company, defining your micro and macro goals, and creating a believable sender persona. Then, he goes deep into segmenting: creating granular lists based on demographics (such as geolocation, gender, income, or industry) and behaviors (such as purchases, emails read, or clicks). He also reviews the best practices for mobile emails, including eye flow and the role of images and video. Finally, he shows how to perfect your engagement with tips on writing effective subject lines, placing your calls to action, and sending emails at the right time.
- Setting up email for the best screen resolution
- Getting the right email marketing tools
- Defining the customer contact journey
- Sending onboarding emails
- Researching emails
- Segmenting emails
- Building your persona
- Optimizing emails for mobile viewing
- Optimizing the subject line
- Sending email at the right time