Your email subject line is what “hooks” the reader into reading your message, so it needs to not only appeal to the reader but also stick out from all those other hundreds of marketing emails many customers receive each week. In this video Mike offers four solid tips to help you create better subject lines for every email campaign, without falling into the trap of misleading or “clickbait” subject lines that may get clicks, but also create a bad user experience.
- [Voiceover] Want to know what…makes the perfect subject line?…Here it is.…There is no perfect subject line.…Well, that's depressing eh?…Okay, let me take a step back.…While there is no perfect subject line,…there are things you can do to make…consistently better subject lines…and cut down on the agonizing you have…hours after hours trying to figure out…the best one to use.…Here's a few tips.…Number one, stay away from Clickbait subject lines.…If you want big open rates,…sure you could use a subject line…like "you won't believe how our product"…"can make your life better"…of "ten ways our service will make you rich".…
But that's just satisfying your need…to prove you can get a big open rate.…It offers no tangible payoff for the customer…in taking your first action.…It's cheap and it's a quick way…to not only get readers to be angry at you,…but to also decrease the value of…every subsequent email you send in the future.…Number two, use their name, maybe.…I remember when email service providers…began letting marketers use people's…
Optimization strategist Michael Duquet helps you take your newsletters and eblasts and refine them into targeted, revenue-generating emails that your customers actually want to read. He walks you through choosing the best tool for your company, defining your micro and macro goals, and creating a believable sender persona. Then, he goes deep into segmenting: creating granular lists based on demographics (such as geolocation, gender, income, or industry) and behaviors (such as purchases, emails read, or clicks). He also reviews the best practices for mobile emails, including eye flow and the role of images and video. Finally, he shows how to perfect your engagement with tips on writing effective subject lines, placing your calls to action, and sending emails at the right time.
This course is part of a Learning Path approved by the American Marketing Association.
Gain the skills you need to become an AMA Professional Certified Marketer (PCM) in Digital Marketing by using the industry-leading courses and resources in the Learning Path. Take the AMA certification exam to show that you have what it takes to lead the digital transformation.
- Setting up email for the best screen resolution
- Getting the right email marketing tools
- Defining the customer contact journey
- Sending onboarding emails
- Researching emails
- Segmenting emails
- Building your persona
- Optimizing emails for mobile viewing
- Optimizing the subject line
- Sending email at the right time