The importance of demographics — or the statistical data relating to a specific group of people — cannot be understated for marketers. Speaking to the right audience, on their terms and sending a message they’re not only likely to receive, but welcome, has never been more important than this current age when there is so much competition for a reader’s attention. Different life conditions and factors impact someone’s perception of the world, and marketers need to follow suit. In this video Mike discusses why demographics matter to you the email marketer. He introduces the top five must have demographic considerations and ends with five extra demographic data sets that you can use to really propel your campaigns to the next level.
- [Voiceover] Segmenting your email list is a great way…to fine tune your email marketing program.…The first set of conditions you can use to create…custom lists revolves around demographics.…Before we talk about the types of demographic data you…should look to collect, let's talk about how to collect it.…The first method is easy, during a purchase.…When someone gives you their credit card information,…you'll also get their address, state, and postal code.…This allows you then to create geo-targeted email lists.…My first ever segmented list was when I worked…for a client that sold baseball jerseys.…
They would previously send out emails advertising…New York Yankees jerseys across the country,…and had relatively low redemption rates.…As a baseball fan, I realized that people identify…with certain locations, so I created a segmented list…that was comprised of the eastern…seaboard states, but not Massachusetts.…And what do you know?…The number of jerseys sold stayed consistent,…but the open rate had nearly doubled,…
Optimization strategist Michael Duquet helps you take your newsletters and eblasts and refine them into targeted, revenue-generating emails that your customers actually want to read. He walks you through choosing the best tool for your company, defining your micro and macro goals, and creating a believable sender persona. Then, he goes deep into segmenting: creating granular lists based on demographics (such as geolocation, gender, income, or industry) and behaviors (such as purchases, emails read, or clicks). He also reviews the best practices for mobile emails, including eye flow and the role of images and video. Finally, he shows how to perfect your engagement with tips on writing effective subject lines, placing your calls to action, and sending emails at the right time.
- Setting up email for the best screen resolution
- Getting the right email marketing tools
- Defining the customer contact journey
- Sending onboarding emails
- Researching emails
- Segmenting emails
- Building your persona
- Optimizing emails for mobile viewing
- Optimizing the subject line
- Sending email at the right time