Perhaps no email type is sure to divide email marketers more than newsletters. The concept of a newsletter is useful, however few marketers capitalize on that concept. In this video Mike discusses what the real role of a newsletter is, how it’s being misused by most companies in its current state and he provides a few tips on how to reign back in your newsletter’s focus and usefulness.
- [Voiceover] Ah, the newsletter,…the bane of almost every email marketer.…When done right, a newsletter can be…a very useful communication tool…to a company's opted-in audience.…When done wrong, it's a resource-sucking,…low-click-through-rate-having,…logistical nightmare.…I have probably made over a thousand newsletters…in my career, and if there's one piece of advice…I could offer to companies looking to create a new one,…it would be this.…Don't, just don't do it.…Sure, newsletters have their place…as an informational tool,…but as a promotional tool,…they'll always rank on the bottom…of your effective marketing campaigns.…
They take a long time to build,…plus every department in your company…will want a piece of the real estate,…meaning you need to wait quite a while…as everyone QA's it.…If you and your company are committed…to moving forward however,…there are a few lessons I've learned…to make your newsletters better…and fairly well-performing.…Tip number one: never call it a newsletter.…When you look at your final newsletter file,…
Optimization strategist Michael Duquet helps you take your newsletters and eblasts and refine them into targeted, revenue-generating emails that your customers actually want to read. He walks you through choosing the best tool for your company, defining your micro and macro goals, and creating a believable sender persona. Then, he goes deep into segmenting: creating granular lists based on demographics (such as geolocation, gender, income, or industry) and behaviors (such as purchases, emails read, or clicks). He also reviews the best practices for mobile emails, including eye flow and the role of images and video. Finally, he shows how to perfect your engagement with tips on writing effective subject lines, placing your calls to action, and sending emails at the right time.
- Setting up email for the best screen resolution
- Getting the right email marketing tools
- Defining the customer contact journey
- Sending onboarding emails
- Researching emails
- Segmenting emails
- Building your persona
- Optimizing emails for mobile viewing
- Optimizing the subject line
- Sending email at the right time