Most companies will put their strongest value proposition and call to action above the “fold” so readers don’t need to use their mouse to scroll in order to find out what’s being offered or sold. In this video Mike discusses the problem with below the fold content and provides a rationale for why it should be addressed in your own email design.
- View Offline
- [Voiceover] The holiday season is one of…the busiest times for Hansel & Petal.…So it's time to get some customers through the door.…We've gone ahead and sent out a sweet offer…for return customers, a full 20% off…holiday floral arrangements.…The customer receives the email, and wow,…they look like they're impressed by the subject line,…our best price of the season on your favorite flowers.…Sounds good.…They open the email, and oh, where's the best price?…Where's the special offer?…Oh, it's all the way down here.…Putting content below the fold, or the area…of the page visible without scrolling,…is one of the biggest errors I see email marketers…consistently make.…
Many designers prefer to have beautiful…graphics or striking imagery about a company…as the first thing a reader sees.…Why?…Because it's pretty.…Well, email shouldn't be pretty.…It should be effective.…With such a limited time to get…your message across, why would you…force someone who's already taken…the first action in your sales pitch,…opening the message, to take another action,…
Optimization strategist Michael Duquet helps you take your newsletters and eblasts and refine them into targeted, revenue-generating emails that your customers actually want to read. He walks you through choosing the best tool for your company, defining your micro and macro goals, and creating a believable sender persona. Then, he goes deep into segmenting: creating granular lists based on demographics (such as geolocation, gender, income, or industry) and behaviors (such as purchases, emails read, or clicks).
He also reviews the best practices for mobile emails, including eye flow and the role of images and video. Finally, he shows how to perfect your engagement with tips on writing effective subject lines, placing your calls to action, and sending emails at the right time.
- Setting up email for the best screen resolution
- Getting the right email marketing tools
- Defining the customer contact journey
- Sending onboarding emails
- Researching emails
- Segmenting emails
- Building your persona
- Optimizing emails for mobile viewing
- Optimizing the subject line
- Sending email at the right time