Gadgets on a Windows PC were utilities one could acess quickly to get information such as weather, dates, time, stocks, and more. They were removed from Windows 10, but the equivelent on a Mac, called widgets, still exist. In this movie, you will know how to access the dashboard where widgets can be found, added, or removed.
- [Voiceover] If you're switching over to a Mac from…a Windows 10 machine,…and you're familiar with earlier versions of Windows,…you know that something called Gadgets…was removed in Windows 10.…Gadgets were little utilities that ran in the background…that you could access quickly to get things like…weather information, clocks, calculators,…calendars, and so on.…Well, here on a Mac using OS X, even up to later…versions of OS X like Yosemite, which I'm using…in El Capitan, there's something equivalent to…those gadgets called Widgets.…
And they're still available here on the Mac.…We're gonna take a quick peek at them because…you might find them useful.…They appear on something called the Dashboard,…which is an app all onto itself.…If we go up to the Go Menu in Finder…and select Applications and scroll down the…alphabetical list, you will find one called the Dashboard.…Give it a double-click and it opens up your Dashboard…with a default set of Widgets.…You can see a calculator, a calendar, a clock,…and you might be seeing weather for your location.…
- Using the keyboard and gestures
- Exploring the desktop, Apple menu, Finder, and dock
- Finding files and folders
- Locating files with Spotlight
- Launching and quitting applications
- Task switching with Mission Control
- Transferring files from Windows to Mac
- Transferring mail and address books
- Connecting printers, cameras, and Bluetooth devices
- Getting online
- Adjusting settings in System Preferences
- Getting the best free apps from the App Store
Skill Level Intermediate
Mac OS X El Capitan Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 13m Appropriate for all
Office for Mac 2016 New Featureswith David Rivers1h 31m Beginner
1. Navigate the Mac
2. The Mac Interface
3. Work with Files and Folders
4. Search on the Mac
5. Work with Applications on the Mac
6. Moving Day
7. Hardware on the Mac
8. Get Online with Your Mac
9. Set System Preferences
10. Top 5 Free Mac Apps
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.