Join Garrick Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video What's inside a computer?, part of Computer Literacy for Mac.
- When it comes to figuring out how capable your computer…is, whether you're shopping around for a new computer…or if you've received a hand-me-down computer for work…or at home, you'll want to know three things first:…How large is the hard drive; How much RAM is installed;…And how fast is the processor.…A lot of people who aren't familiar with computers…have trouble understanding these three terms…and what they mean in regards…of what the computer is capable of.…Allow me to offer this analogy.…This is a hard drive.…Your computers hard drive,…sometimes also referred to as a hard disk,…is the computer's storage device.…
You'll most likely rarely see it out in the open like this,…since it's an internal device,…but this is what one looks like.…Think of the hard drive as the filing cabinet…where everything on your computer is stored,…from programs, to documents, to videos.…Basically, anything that's stored…on your computer is stored on the hard drive.…Now, this is a RAM or random access memory module.…Most people just call it RAM or memory.…
Note: This course was recorded on Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. To upgrade to Yosemite before you begin, watch "Installing and running Mac OS X 10.10 for the first time."
- Working with a laptop versus a desktop computer
- Understanding the five traits almost all applications share in Mac OS X
- Printing on a Mac computer
- Setting up a scanner
- Connecting to the Internet
- Sending and receiving email
- Searching the Internet
- Importing and editing images from a digital camera
- Sharing files
Skill Level Beginner
iOS 7: iPhone and iPad Essential Trainingwith Garrick Chow8h 21m Appropriate for all
Mac OS X Yosemite Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 4m Appropriate for all
1. Introduction to Computers
2. Introduction to Operating Systems
3. Introduction to Software and Applications
4. Introduction to Computer Peripherals
5. Introduction to Networks and Getting Online
6. Introduction to Email
7. Introduction to Internet Searching
8. Introduction to Word Processing and Spreadsheets
9. Introduction to Photo and Image Management
10. Introduction to Sharing Files
What's next?1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.