Join Garrick Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video What's a computer?, part of Computer Literacy for Mac.
- When using the word computer in the context…of this training course, I'm referring…to the entire package of everything you need…to actually accomplish tasks.…Some people refer to a computer as just the actual unit…housing the main components of the hard drive,…processor, memory, and so on.…For example, this is Apple's Mac Pro…and this is the Mac mini.…They look very different from each other,…but they're both computers.…They contain hard drives, processors, memory,…and ports for plugging in accessories.…But to use a computer, you also need a monitor…so you can see what you're doing.…
Some computers, like the iMac or notebook computers,…have built-in monitors, but it's important…not to confuse the monitor with the computer itself.…The monitor is also called the display,…and it doesn't do any of the work or processing.…It simply displays the computer's interface,…which is still an essential component of the entire system.…You also need a keyboard and a mouse so you can enter text…and commands and control the computer.…
Note: This course was recorded on Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. To upgrade to Yosemite before you begin, watch "Installing and running Mac OS X 10.10 for the first time."
- Working with a laptop versus a desktop computer
- Understanding the five traits almost all applications share in Mac OS X
- Printing on a Mac computer
- Setting up a scanner
- Connecting to the Internet
- Sending and receiving email
- Searching the Internet
- Importing and editing images from a digital camera
- Sharing files
Skill Level Beginner
iOS 7: iPhone and iPad Essential Trainingwith Garrick Chow8h 21m Appropriate for all
Mac OS X Yosemite Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 4m Appropriate for all
1. Introduction to Computers
2. Introduction to Operating Systems
3. Introduction to Software and Applications
4. Introduction to Computer Peripherals
5. Introduction to Networks and Getting Online
6. Introduction to Email
7. Introduction to Internet Searching
8. Introduction to Word Processing and Spreadsheets
9. Introduction to Photo and Image Management
10. Introduction to Sharing Files
What's next?1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.