Join Chad Chelius for an in-depth discussion in this video What is an OS?, part of Learning Mac OS X Mountain Lion.
Before we go too far, let's take just a few minutes to understand what an …operating system, or OS, is. You see, Mountain Lion or Mac OS 10.8, is …an a class of software called an operating system. …An operating system is crucial to the operation of a computer because it acts …as a control center for any computer, and manages hardware resources. …Other operating systems that you may have heard of include Windows and Linux. …And in the case of mobile devices, IOS for the iPhone and iPod and iPad, and …Android for other mobile devices. Even smart phones, which are essentially …small computers, need an operating system.…
An operating system also provides services for computer programs like …Safari, Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and thousands of other applications as well. …Essentially, without an operating system, none of the individual applications on a …computer could run at all. So you see, that the role of an operating …system is quite important. Most users take the OS for granted, but …we all use it on a day to day basis in order to get our work done. …
- Installing Mountain Lion
- Creating and logging in to a user account
- Setting parental controls
- Customizing the Finder window toolbar
- Sharing files between users
- Browsing the web with Safari
- Sending and receiving email
- Installing applications
- Using Reminders, Notes, Messages, and the Notification Center
- Backing up and restoring files with Time Machine
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Mac OS X Mountain Lion Essential Trainingwith Christopher Breen6h Appropriate for all
iOS 6: iPhone and iPod touch Essential Trainingwith Garrick Chow7h 42m Appropriate for all
1. Exploring Mountain Lion
2. Installing Mountain Lion
3. User Accounts
4. Getting to Know the Mac OS
5. Browsing the Web with Safari
6. Sending and Receiving Email with Apple Mail
7. Useful Mountain Lion Applications
8. Major Mountain Lion New Features
9. Preparing for the Worst
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.