When transferring files from one computer to another, one option is to compress groups of files into a single file for an easier and faster transfer. In this movie, you will know how to extract .zip files from a Windows PC, as well as files that have been compressed using older Mac technology, the .sit and .sitx compressed file formats.
- [Voiceover] If you're going to be switching…from a Windows computer to a Mac,…you're probably going to have files…that you'll want to transfer over to the Mac.…Instead of transferring them individually,…and there are a number of different way to transfer files,…we'll get into those options as we move…through the movies in this chapter,…but one thing you might want to consider doing…to make it a faster and easier process…is to take groups of files and compress them…into a single file that, overall, will be smaller in size…and easier to transfer.…
You may already be familiar with WinZip…on a Windows computer.…You can use that to create zip files.…They're compatible now here on the Mac.…Let's take a look at our exercise files.…We'll double-click that folder,…and double-click the Chapter 6 folder inside.…Here we have some files, including one that ends with zip.…JBPics. It's a group of photos.…They were compressed into a single zip file,…and here they are already on the Mac.…We'll talk about how they got here in the upcoming movies,…
- Using the keyboard and gestures
- Exploring the desktop, Apple menu, Finder, and dock
- Finding files and folders
- Locating files with Spotlight
- Launching and quitting applications
- Task switching with Mission Control
- Transferring files from Windows to Mac
- Transferring mail and address books
- Connecting printers, cameras, and Bluetooth devices
- Getting online
- Adjusting settings in System Preferences
- Getting the best free apps from the App Store
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Navigate the Mac
2. The Mac Interface
3. Work with Files and Folders
4. Search on the Mac
5. Work with Applications on the Mac
6. Moving Day
7. Hardware on the Mac
8. Get Online with Your Mac
9. Set System Preferences
10. Top 5 Free Mac Apps
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.