Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Unix manual pages, part of Unix for Mac OS X Users.
This movie may very well be the most valuable movie in this entire training title, …even though it's very simple.…The Unix manual pages are an invaluable resource for helping you figure out what…you want to when you're working in Unix.…In fact, I learned 80% of the Unix I know from the manual pages.…These are going to be your best friend during your journey.…The manual pages, often simply refer to as just the man pages, is called that…because the command to get to them is just man, and the man followed by whatever…we want to look up in the manual.…man echo will give us the manual pages for the echo command.…
Go ahead and hit that, you will see at the top BSD General Commands Manual.…The name echo, what does it do?…Write arguments to the standard output.…Then we get a synopsis, then we get the description. You can see the option…-n there, do not print the trailing new line character, and then at the…bottom we get a colon.…Now let's just know that there's more. We can see more.…To see the next page, you can simply hit the Spacebar or you can use F and B to…
- Moving around the file system
- Creating and reading files
- Copying, moving, renaming, and deleting files and directories
- Creating hard links and symbolic links
- Understanding user identity, file ownership, and sudo
- Setting file permissions with alpha and octal notation
- Changing the PATH variable
- Using the command history
- Directing input and output
- Configuring the Unix working environment
- Searching and replacing using grep and regular expressions
- Manipulating text with tr, sed, and cut
- Integrating with the Finder, Spotlight, and AppleScript
Skill Level Beginner
1. Introduction to Unix
2. Filesystem Basics
3. Working with Files and Directories
4. Ownership and Permissions
5. Commands and Programs
6. Directing Input and Output
7. Configuring Your Working Environment
8. Unix Power Tools
9. Useful Mac-Only Commands and Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.