Join Garrick Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding files, folders, and directories, part of Computer Literacy for Mac.
- One of the most important concepts to understand…when working with computers…is the system for organizing, storing,…and locating your files and applications.…In this context, the term File…refers to a single item…such as a word processing document,…a photo, a video clip, a song, and so on.…Applications are the programs that you run…on your computer which often use, interact with,…or create the files stored on your computer.…Another term you'll frequently hear is a folder.…A folder is sometimes referred to as a directory…but I think that folder makes more sense…because it's easy to understand the concept…of storing files within folders.…
In fact, everything you interact with on your computer…is stored in a hierarchy of folders.…You can have folders nested within other folders…and files stored throughout those nested folders.…If it helps you can think of your hard drive…as one big master folder or even a filing cabinet…where all the other folders are stored,…accessed, and arranged.…Let's take a look at an example…
Note: This course was recorded on Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. To upgrade to Yosemite before you begin, watch "Installing and running Mac OS X 10.10 for the first time."
- Working with a laptop versus a desktop computer
- Understanding the five traits almost all applications share in Mac OS X
- Printing on a Mac computer
- Setting up a scanner
- Connecting to the Internet
- Sending and receiving email
- Searching the Internet
- Importing and editing images from a digital camera
- Sharing files
Skill Level Beginner
iOS 7: iPhone and iPad Essential Trainingwith Garrick Chow8h 21m Appropriate for all
Mac OS X Yosemite Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 4m Appropriate for all
1. Introduction to Computers
2. Introduction to Operating Systems
3. Introduction to Software and Applications
4. Introduction to Computer Peripherals
5. Introduction to Networks and Getting Online
6. Introduction to Email
7. Introduction to Internet Searching
8. Introduction to Word Processing and Spreadsheets
9. Introduction to Photo and Image Management
10. Introduction to Sharing Files
What's next?1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.