Understand what tmutil is, and how it should be used by an administrator. Learn the ways command line administration of tmutil allows remote administration of backups on El Capitan Macs. See the tmutil command used to interact with the backup utility on a client Mac, and understand where tmutil parameters are documented.
- View Offline
- Time Machine has been available on OS X since OS 10.5,…but only recently, we've gained the addition…of tmutil, a command line utility…that has additional functionality…and the ability to call new tools into play…when administering Time Machine on a client Macintosh.…To get started, we're going to go to the Utilities folder.…I did that by holding down Command Shift…and pressing the U key on the keyboard.…And then opening up the Terminal application.…And just going to tidy things up here for us a little bit…and make this larger so that you can see.…
I'm doing that by pressing Command…and the Plus sign on my keyboard.…All right. Once we're in here,…everything at the command line is typed.…If you don't know what to type,…you're not going to get any hints,…but there are some really cool hints available.…The man page for any utility…will give you a manual on how to use it.…So, we're going to start…by typing man, space, tmutil.…Every man page starts off with the name of the utility,…what it does, a brief description,…
- Understanding the El Capitan system requirements
- Installing and configuring El Capitan
- Protecting user data
- Performing a partial or full-system recover with Time Machine
- Installing applications
- Managing application preferences
- Monitoring the system
- Configuring security
- Directory binding
- Troubleshooting problems
- Understanding Spotlight problems and how to fix them
- Collecting system information
Skill Level Intermediate
Mac OS X Yosemite Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 4m Appropriate for all
Mac OS X El Capitan Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 13m Appropriate for all
OS X Server Essential Training: El Capitan Editionwith Sean Colins3h 24m Intermediate
1. Assessing and Planning
Get the most for your money6m 49s
2. Installing and Configuring
CoreStorage in El Capitan4m 22s
3. Protecting User Data
4. Application Management
5. System Monitoring
7. Networking and Directory Integration
8. Troubleshooting Common Problems
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.