Sean walks through a full system recovery using Time Machine and the recovery partition on an El Capitan Mac. Learn how to navigate the interface, and understand what to expect from a full system restore. Understand the steps to follow and the ramifications of various choices during a system restore.
- View Offline
- If you're booted from Recovery,…on a system that has no operating system on it,…you'll need to do an installation of the operating system.…And you have two options here.…One is fairly straightforward and obvious,…and that is to click reinstall OS 10.…When you do, and you hit continue,…you'll go through the various dialog boxes,…if the system that you're running from…did not originally ship with the operating system…you're trying to install,…it will ask you to log in with an Apple ID and password…that has previously been used…to purchase that OS.…
Basically, they're just making sure…you own the operating system before they let it go.…The other is less obvious,…and I wanted to run you through that now.…And that is restoring from a Time Machine backup.…This is a full system restore…when you have a Time Machine backup…on a hard drive or network volume.…We booted into the recovery partition…by booting up and holding down command R on the keyboard.…We select restore from Time Machine backup…and we click Continue.…Once here, we click on the Continue button as well,…
- Understanding the El Capitan system requirements
- Installing and configuring El Capitan
- Protecting user data
- Performing a partial or full-system recover with Time Machine
- Installing applications
- Managing application preferences
- Monitoring the system
- Configuring security
- Directory binding
- Troubleshooting problems
- Understanding Spotlight problems and how to fix them
- Collecting system information
Skill Level Intermediate
Mac OS X Yosemite Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 4m Appropriate for all
Mac OS X El Capitan Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 13m Appropriate for all
OS X Server Essential Training: El Capitan Editionwith Sean Colins3h 24m Intermediate
1. Assessing and Planning
Get the most for your money6m 49s
2. Installing and Configuring
CoreStorage in El Capitan4m 22s
3. Protecting User Data
4. Application Management
5. System Monitoring
7. Networking and Directory Integration
8. Troubleshooting Common Problems
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.