Understand how the System Information application can be used to collect Mac OS X system information for documentation. Use systemprofiler at the command line and learn to save output created by systemprofiler and System Information. Learn what to do with the output files of System Information after creation, and how documenting system settings and configurations can help administrators.
- View Offline
- In an earlier movie, I showed you…how System Information works to gather information…about your computer, and we even showed…how to use the system profiler command line command…to export one of those files out as a file…that can be opened elsewhere, so that you can review it.…In this chapter, we're going to talk about…how System Information can be used to collect information…to document the systems that you're responsible for.…To begin, we'll go to the Utilities folder,…and open up System Information.…
Now, since we've already gone through System Information,…and taken a quick tour, I'm not going…to go into too much detail here.…You already know that we have the ability…to gather the model name,…the identifier processor information, RAM, hard drive.…All of those things which are useful hardware parameters…that we can use to decide whether or not…a user's system needs to be upgraded down the road.…We can use this to plan upgrade schedules essentially.…We also, of course, as mentioned in a previous movie,…can use the application information…
- Understanding the El Capitan system requirements
- Installing and configuring El Capitan
- Protecting user data
- Performing a partial or full-system recover with Time Machine
- Installing applications
- Managing application preferences
- Monitoring the system
- Configuring security
- Directory binding
- Troubleshooting problems
- Understanding Spotlight problems and how to fix them
- Collecting system information
Skill Level Intermediate
Mac OS X Yosemite Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 4m Appropriate for all
Mac OS X El Capitan Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 13m Appropriate for all
OS X Server Essential Training: El Capitan Editionwith Sean Colins3h 24m Intermediate
1. Assessing and Planning
Get the most for your money6m 49s
2. Installing and Configuring
CoreStorage in El Capitan4m 22s
3. Protecting User Data
4. Application Management
5. System Monitoring
7. Networking and Directory Integration
8. Troubleshooting Common Problems
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.