Join Garrick Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video Staying protected from malware, part of Computer Literacy for Mac.
- You're probably aware of the existence…of malicious programs called viruses…and the importance of keeping your computer…protected from them.…Viruses or malware, as they're also referred to,…are often created with the intent of stealing information…from your computer or sometimes just to mess…with your computer by erasing important files.…Fortunately, as a Mac user, you don't have quite as much…to be concerned about as your Windows-using counterparts.…It's difficult to infect a Mac with a virus,…and since the Mac has a much smaller user base than Windows,…the cretins who create viruses generally keep their focus…on the larger group.…
Now that said, there have been some demonstrations…of how to infect Macs with viruses,…but these usually involve tricking the Mac user…into downloading and installing software…containing a virus.…So while you don't have to worry as much…about malicious software being installed…through a website, like Windows users do,…you still have to remain vigilant…and not install software from an untrusted…
Note: This course was recorded on Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. To upgrade to Yosemite before you begin, watch "Installing and running Mac OS X 10.10 for the first time."
- Working with a laptop versus a desktop computer
- Understanding the five traits almost all applications share in Mac OS X
- Printing on a Mac computer
- Setting up a scanner
- Connecting to the Internet
- Sending and receiving email
- Searching the Internet
- Importing and editing images from a digital camera
- Sharing files
Skill Level Beginner
iOS 7: iPhone and iPad Essential Trainingwith Garrick Chow8h 21m Appropriate for all
Mac OS X Yosemite Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 4m Appropriate for all
1. Introduction to Computers
2. Introduction to Operating Systems
3. Introduction to Software and Applications
4. Introduction to Computer Peripherals
5. Introduction to Networks and Getting Online
6. Introduction to Email
7. Introduction to Internet Searching
8. Introduction to Word Processing and Spreadsheets
9. Introduction to Photo and Image Management
10. Introduction to Sharing Files
What's next?1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.