Understand the importance of Spotlight to user functionality on an Mac OS X System. Learn how to fix a malfunctioning Spotlight system and how Spotlight indexes a system. Leverage the way Spotlight works, to quickly reverse spotlight database damage. Learn how to create private zones on a drive that aren't indexed by Spotlight.
- View Offline
- Throughout this title you may notice that…occasionally, in order to launch an application,…I will go up and use the Spotlight menu,…and type in the name of the application,…like, Terminal, for example, or Safari…And, very quickly, the application pops right up…and I can hit return and boom, I'm in the application.…It's a very very useful tool.…But not just for launching applications.…It's all kinds of useful for finding all sorts of things.…But there's times when Spotlight stops working.…And as an administrator, you really need to understand…how Spotlight works, and how to troubleshoot it…when it doesn't.…
So I'm going to start, I'm here in the System Preferences,…and I'm in the Spotlight System Preference,…And actually, I can just show you where that is.…Here in the top row I've got Spotlight,…just click on that and I'm right in here.…I've got two tabs here, one is Search Results,…one is Privacy, and under Search Results…I can tell it exactly what types of items I want to return…as results whenever I do a search.…
- Understanding the El Capitan system requirements
- Installing and configuring El Capitan
- Protecting user data
- Performing a partial or full-system recover with Time Machine
- Installing applications
- Managing application preferences
- Monitoring the system
- Configuring security
- Directory binding
- Troubleshooting problems
- Understanding Spotlight problems and how to fix them
- Collecting system information
Skill Level Intermediate
Mac OS X Yosemite Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 4m Appropriate for all
Mac OS X El Capitan Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 13m Appropriate for all
OS X Server Essential Training: El Capitan Editionwith Sean Colins3h 24m Intermediate
1. Assessing and Planning
Get the most for your money6m 49s
2. Installing and Configuring
CoreStorage in El Capitan4m 22s
3. Protecting User Data
4. Application Management
5. System Monitoring
7. Networking and Directory Integration
8. Troubleshooting Common Problems
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.