Join Garrick Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video Special considerations when using a laptop, part of Computer Literacy for Mac (2015).
- If you've decided to use a Laptop or notebook computer…or if you really didn't have an say in the matter…and had one issued to you,…there are somethings unique to the use of laptops…that you should be familiar with.…First of all, the laptop is an all-in-one device.…All the necessary components are built in…and for the most part you can carry it around…and have everything you need to get your work done.…Now, since it's a portable device…it runs off an internal battery.…These days laptop batteries range anywhere…from around five to seven hours…of usage time on a single charge.…But your results will greatly vary…depending on how hard you're using the laptop.…
So you'll always want to make sure…to carry around the laptop's power supply cable with you,…so you can plug it into an outlet to charge the battery.…Especially if you know you're gonna be using it…for an extended period of time.…A laptop with a depleted battery…and no power cable is really only good as a paperweight.…Now when it comes to actually using the laptop…
Note: This course was recorded on Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. To upgrade to Yosemite before you begin, watch "Installing and running Mac OS X 10.10 for the first time."
- Working with a laptop versus a desktop computer
- Understanding the five traits almost all applications share in Mac OS X
- Printing on a Mac computer
- Setting up a scanner
- Connecting to the Internet
- Sending and receiving email
- Searching the Internet
- Importing and editing images from a digital camera
- Sharing files
Skill Level Beginner
iOS 7: iPhone and iPad Essential Trainingwith Garrick Chow8h 21m Appropriate for all
Mac OS X Yosemite Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 4m Appropriate for all
1. Introduction to Computers
2. Introduction to Operating Systems
3. Introduction to Software and Applications
4. Introduction to Computer Peripherals
5. Introduction to Networks and Getting Online
6. Introduction to Email
7. Introduction to Internet Searching
8. Introduction to Word Processing and Spreadsheets
9. Introduction to Photo and Image Management
10. Introduction to Sharing Files
What's next?1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.