Join Christopher Breen for an in-depth discussion in this video Sorting the Downloads folder, part of Mac OS X Yosemite Tips and Tricks.
- View Offline
- Like all good automated workflows…this one is hatched from something I find…to be an annoyance.…I download a lot of files:…disk images, songs, pictures, and books,…and all of them go into the downloads folder…within my user folder.…After downloading them, I don't always retrieve these files…but rather I let them molder away…for days and sometimes weeks.…And when I finally get around to using them,…I rummage around in this folder,…which now contains hundreds of files.…Wouldn't it be easier if I could put some of these files…in their place automatically?…Well, with Automator, I can and here's how.…
First thing I'm going to do is create a new folder,…and I'm going to call it My Pictures.…I'm then going to launch Automator,…choose New Document, and I'm going to choose Folder Action…as the kind of workflow and then click on Choose.…Near the top of the window I'll click on the pop-up menu…and choose Other.…And then I'll select Downloads and then click Choose.…Now I'll select Files and Folders,…drag in Filter Finder Items,…
The course also covers automating repetitive tasks with Automator and recording your Mac or iOS device's screen with QuickTime. Need help with basic housekeeping tasks? Chris dives into the utilities that help you resize disk partitions, create encrypted images, recover passwords, and more. The course concludes with great tips on efficiently using email and iCloud.
- Cleaning up the Mac OS X interface
- Using AirDrop to move files between your Mac and iOS device
- Extending Spotlight's reach
- Converting imported images with Automator
- Controlling your Mac with your voice
- Capturing screenshots and recording your screen with QuickTime
- Creating encrypted images
- Recovering passwords
- Archiving email
- Sending large email attachments with Mail Drop
- Working with iCloud