Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Shut down, reboot, and sleep, part of Unix for Mac OS X Users.
In this movie I'm going to show you how you can shut down, reboot, and sleep your…computer from the Unix command line.…Not only can we perform these actions just like we can in the Finder, but from the…command line we get an extra cool bonus we can schedule these actions.…Now before we get started I want you to proceed carefully. I don't want to be…responsible if you put your computer to sleep or reboot and you lose data in a…file that you're in the process of editing.…So take a moment and make sure that all your files are saved and everything…so that if you did accidentally trigger a shutdown you wouldn't lose anything important.…Now the command that we're going to use for all three of these, for shut down,…reboot and sleep, is going to be the shutdown command. That may not seem…intuitive, but that's the command that we use for all three of them and in order…to use the shutdown command we always have to use it with sudo.…
So sudo shutdown and then immediately after we have to specify one of three…
- Moving around the file system
- Creating and reading files
- Copying, moving, renaming, and deleting files and directories
- Creating hard links and symbolic links
- Understanding user identity, file ownership, and sudo
- Setting file permissions with alpha and octal notation
- Changing the PATH variable
- Using the command history
- Directing input and output
- Configuring the Unix working environment
- Searching and replacing using grep and regular expressions
- Manipulating text with tr, sed, and cut
- Integrating with the Finder, Spotlight, and AppleScript
Skill Level Beginner
1. Introduction to Unix
2. Filesystem Basics
3. Working with Files and Directories
4. Ownership and Permissions
5. Commands and Programs
6. Directing Input and Output
7. Configuring Your Working Environment
8. Unix Power Tools
9. Useful Mac-Only Commands and Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.