Join Garrick Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video Portable storage devices, part of Computer Literacy for Mac.
- Another common device you'll most likely use…at some point or another is an…external hard drive or storage device.…An external hard drive can be simple as…a flash or thumb drive like this one…and these typically plug into your computer's USB port…and have capacities ranging from four gigabytes up…to around five hundred and twelve gigabytes these days.…For a significantly more storage space…you'll have to go with an external hard drive…like this one.…These can also connect to your Mac by a USB.…The thunderbolt drives are starting…to show up on the market as well.…External hard drives often require…that you plug them into their own power outlet…although you will find some models…that are powered through the USB or thunderbolt port.…
Using an external hard drive or thumb drive…is simply a matter of plugging it into your Mac.…I have a thumb drive here that I'll plug in right now…and after a few seconds the drive…should appear on your desktop.…Now, if your hard drive or thumb drive didn't show up…first click somewhere on your desktop…
Note: This course was recorded on Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. To upgrade to Yosemite before you begin, watch "Installing and running Mac OS X 10.10 for the first time."
- Working with a laptop versus a desktop computer
- Understanding the five traits almost all applications share in Mac OS X
- Printing on a Mac computer
- Setting up a scanner
- Connecting to the Internet
- Sending and receiving email
- Searching the Internet
- Importing and editing images from a digital camera
- Sharing files
Skill Level Beginner
iOS 7: iPhone and iPad Essential Trainingwith Garrick Chow8h 21m Appropriate for all
Mac OS X Yosemite Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 4m Appropriate for all
1. Introduction to Computers
2. Introduction to Operating Systems
3. Introduction to Software and Applications
4. Introduction to Computer Peripherals
5. Introduction to Networks and Getting Online
6. Introduction to Email
7. Introduction to Internet Searching
8. Introduction to Word Processing and Spreadsheets
9. Introduction to Photo and Image Management
10. Introduction to Sharing Files
What's next?1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.