Understand Mac OS X El Capitan installation packages. Learn the history of application packages in Mac OS X. Learn how a package is constructed, what a .pkg file is, and how it relates to a bundle. Learn about folders that appear as files in OS X. Leverage packages as an administrator to deliver payloads. Understand why some developers still use this installation method.
- Packages have been around in some form,…since the next operating system which proceeded OS 10…and of course was purchased by Apple to become OS 10.…So lets talk about packages,…so their used by an application called the Installer app.…The installer app of course used to be located in,…applications utilities,…but is now located in system library core services.…It always will contain at a minimum some kind of payload…or group of files…or maybe even just a single file that needs…to be installed somewhere.…
It allows for the distribution of files and in a lot…of cases pre and post install scripts that alter the way,…either the operating system is configured…or permissions on file or folders in a directory tree.…To accommodate the installation of those files…and the correct permission structures,…after things are installed.…So it's very important that these things be signed…by a trusted certificate otherwise,…GateKeeper will keep them from running.…
So if you are doing this as a developer…and you're not using the developer program,…
- Understanding the El Capitan system requirements
- Installing and configuring El Capitan
- Protecting user data
- Performing a partial or full-system recover with Time Machine
- Installing applications
- Managing application preferences
- Monitoring the system
- Configuring security
- Directory binding
- Troubleshooting problems
- Understanding Spotlight problems and how to fix them
- Collecting system information
Skill Level Intermediate
Mac OS X El Capitan Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 13m Appropriate for all
1. Assessing and Planning
Get the most for your money6m 49s
2. Installing and Configuring
CoreStorage in El Capitan4m 22s
3. Protecting User Data
4. Application Management
5. System Monitoring
7. Networking and Directory Integration
8. Troubleshooting Common Problems
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.