Learn the best way to migrate user data from an old system to a new system running OS X El Capitan. Explore Migration Assistant and understand migration sources. See the Migration pane in Setup Assistant. Understand where to find the Migration Assistant tool and when to use it.
- If you have a user that's getting a brand new Mac…but they've been working with you before…and they've got a time machine backup…or you've got an older computer…you going to migrate from.…Or maybe they've got a computer with damaged storage…that was repaired under AppleCare.…Either way there will be times when you need…to do a complete migration of user data…onto a system that has a existing version…of El Capitan preinstalled, but completely unconfigured.…So I'm going to show you how to use…the migration assistant here in…the setup assistant to do that.…
We start by selecting the country…and of course the keyboard type.…Then we have to connect up to a network.…When we complete that the next step…is to transfer information to this Mac.…We're going to do that from a…Mac Time Machine backup…or startup disk and click Continue.…The next step is that the setup assistant…will scan all of the available sources…that contain backup information…that we could choose from.…The local one will always be fastest.…So if you've got a local backup…
- Understanding the El Capitan system requirements
- Installing and configuring El Capitan
- Protecting user data
- Performing a partial or full-system recover with Time Machine
- Installing applications
- Managing application preferences
- Monitoring the system
- Configuring security
- Directory binding
- Troubleshooting problems
- Understanding Spotlight problems and how to fix them
- Collecting system information
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Assessing and Planning
Get the most for your money6m 49s
2. Installing and Configuring
CoreStorage in El Capitan4m 22s
3. Protecting User Data
4. Application Management
5. System Monitoring
7. Networking and Directory Integration
8. Troubleshooting Common Problems
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.