Leverage the storage location of user data as an Apple system administrator. Sean shows where user data should exist on an OS X El Capitan system. Understand the file system hierarchy established with OS X as a UNIX system. Understand how the location of a user's data can affect their OS 10.11 experience.
- View Offline
- OS X organizes user data into…siloed user folders to protect user's data…from the prying eyes of other users…on the same computer.…In El Capitan, we have a couple of basic settings…that are enabled by default.…If we go to the Apple and pull down to system preferences…and we go to users and groups,…you can see I have my first user account,…which is Sean Collins, and I have a guest user account…that is enabled by default.…
It's important that you know that as an administrator…because in many IT organizations it's important to…disable guest user accounts.…This, of course, requires an admin username and password.…All you need to do is authenticate,…click on the guest user account,…click the disable button and then you can…get away from system preferences…and the system is now set,…but you should know that that is the default behavior.…Let's open up the Finder and take a look at…the user folder structure.…I just pressed Command + N on my keyboard…which opens up a new Finder window.…
I can press Command + Shift + H on my keyboard…
- Understanding the El Capitan system requirements
- Installing and configuring El Capitan
- Protecting user data
- Performing a partial or full-system recover with Time Machine
- Installing applications
- Managing application preferences
- Monitoring the system
- Configuring security
- Directory binding
- Troubleshooting problems
- Understanding Spotlight problems and how to fix them
- Collecting system information
Skill Level Intermediate
Mac OS X Yosemite Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 4m Appropriate for all
Mac OS X El Capitan Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 13m Appropriate for all
OS X Server Essential Training: El Capitan Editionwith Sean Colins3h 24m Intermediate
1. Assessing and Planning
Get the most for your money6m 49s
2. Installing and Configuring
CoreStorage in El Capitan4m 22s
3. Protecting User Data
4. Application Management
5. System Monitoring
7. Networking and Directory Integration
8. Troubleshooting Common Problems
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.