Finding things like installed programs, files, folders and more can be done on a Windows computer using search functionality built into Windows, such as the search field found under the Windows start button. On a Mac, we use Spotlight. In this movie, you will know how to use spotlight to find apps, files, definitions, and more, as well as different ways to access spotlight.
- [Voiceover] It's time now to look at…how we find things on our Mac.…On a Windows computer using Windows 10,…let's say, you could go down to your Start button,…there's a search field just next to it.…In older versions of Windows you could go to…the Start screen and simply start typing to open…up a search pane or click the Start button…and type in the search field down there.…Here on the Mac, it's Spotlight.…That's what we call it; there's a couple of…different ways to get to Spotlight.…One option is from the menu bar across the top…of your screen, so if you're in Finder or any…other application for that matter, you'll see…the Spotlight icon, the magnifying glass in the…top right corner, give it a click.…
Now if you haven't searched for anything recently…you won't see anything in this field, just a…flashing cursor waiting for you to start typing.…All right, let's say we wanna play a game called Chess.…Do we have it? Let's find out.…Type in chess and Spotlight goes to work searching…for applications, for example, searching online,…
- Using the keyboard and gestures
- Exploring the desktop, Apple menu, Finder, and dock
- Finding files and folders
- Locating files with Spotlight
- Launching and quitting applications
- Task switching with Mission Control
- Transferring files from Windows to Mac
- Transferring mail and address books
- Connecting printers, cameras, and Bluetooth devices
- Getting online
- Adjusting settings in System Preferences
- Getting the best free apps from the App Store
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Navigate the Mac
2. The Mac Interface
3. Work with Files and Folders
4. Search on the Mac
5. Work with Applications on the Mac
6. Moving Day
7. Hardware on the Mac
8. Get Online with Your Mac
9. Set System Preferences
10. Top 5 Free Mac Apps
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.