Learn how directory-based management enables features for administrators of Mac OS X. Learn how binding to Active Directory is similar in its process to binding to Open Directory. Sean review the concepts of profile-based management in contrast to directory-based management. Learn the benefits of binding to a directory on an unmanaged Mac to provide single sign-on login capabilities.
- View Offline
- Directory binding has been around…in computing for quite a long time.…If you have a directory system on your network,…you have users and groups in that directory…that are centralized, and your client computers…and other servers can bind to that directory system…and use it for authentication purposes.…This allows you to do what we call single sign-on,…where a user has one password across multiple systems.…So, we have an OS X server running Open Directory…sitting here on this system.…
If you are using a Windows system of Active Directory,…the binding process is very, very similar.…We're going to move over to our client computer,…using screen sharing, and I'm going to show you…how we bind a client computer to a server computer…using Open Directory, and I'll talk…about Active Directory as we do it.…We start by going to the apple…and pulling down to System Preferences.…We then go to the Users and Groups…System Preference pane, and authenticate.…This is asking you to authenticate…with the local, administrator username and password…
- Understanding the El Capitan system requirements
- Installing and configuring El Capitan
- Protecting user data
- Performing a partial or full-system recover with Time Machine
- Installing applications
- Managing application preferences
- Monitoring the system
- Configuring security
- Directory binding
- Troubleshooting problems
- Understanding Spotlight problems and how to fix them
- Collecting system information
Skill Level Intermediate
Mac OS X Yosemite Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 4m Appropriate for all
Mac OS X El Capitan Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 13m Appropriate for all
OS X Server Essential Training: El Capitan Editionwith Sean Colins3h 24m Intermediate
1. Assessing and Planning
Get the most for your money6m 49s
2. Installing and Configuring
CoreStorage in El Capitan4m 22s
3. Protecting User Data
4. Application Management
5. System Monitoring
7. Networking and Directory Integration
8. Troubleshooting Common Problems
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.