Join Garrick Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video Conducting advanced searches, part of Computer Literacy for Mac.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- When you having trouble…finding the information you're looking for,…you can sometimes get better results…by implementing more advanced search techniques.…Now some search engines let you use…what are referred to as Boolean search terms.…Basically, they allow you to perform a search…but to exclude certain results…or to search only for specific results.…Depending on the search engine,…Boolean searching can involve using…words like and, or, and not…within your searches…or, in the cases of Google,…by using special characters…like the plus symbol, the minus symbol,…the tilde, and the like.…
But instead of having to remember how…to use those terms and special characters,…it's much easier to go to Google.com…and use the Advanced Search feature.…Google likes to keep their main page as simple as possible,…so to get to the advanced search options,…click Settings down here in the lower right-hand corner…and choose Advanced search.…Alternatively, you can go to…google.com/advanced_search.…If you end using Advanced Search a lot,…
Note: This course was recorded on Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. To upgrade to Yosemite before you begin, watch "Installing and running Mac OS X 10.10 for the first time."
- Working with a laptop versus a desktop computer
- Understanding the five traits almost all applications share in Mac OS X
- Printing on a Mac computer
- Setting up a scanner
- Connecting to the Internet
- Sending and receiving email
- Searching the Internet
- Importing and editing images from a digital camera
- Sharing files
Skill Level Beginner
iOS 7: iPhone and iPad Essential Trainingwith Garrick Chow8h 21m Appropriate for all
Mac OS X Yosemite Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 4m Appropriate for all
1. Introduction to Computers
2. Introduction to Operating Systems
3. Introduction to Software and Applications
4. Introduction to Computer Peripherals
5. Introduction to Networks and Getting Online
6. Introduction to Email
7. Introduction to Internet Searching
8. Introduction to Word Processing and Spreadsheets
9. Introduction to Photo and Image Management
10. Introduction to Sharing Files
What's next?1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.