Join Garrick Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video Compressing files, part of Computer Literacy for Mac (2015).
- Regardless of the type of file…you're sending to someone…if you're using the internet to send the file,…whether via email or web-based sharing service,…another habit you should get into…is compressing your files before sending them.…When it comes to the web file size still matters a lot…and is a major determining factor…in how long it takes to send and receive a file,…or whether you can send the file at all.…Compressing a file does just what it sounds like,…it makes the file smaller.…Fortunately Mac OS X has the built in ability…to compress files in the most popular compression format,…the ZIP format.…
Let's see how it works.…I have here on my Desktop…the Exercise Files folder for this course.…Now I could easily open a new email message…and drag all of these files into the message…as separate attachments,…but you're gonna find that compressing multiple files…into a single attachment generally results…in all the files getting to their destination…without corruption or errors much more frequently…than sending everything uncompressed…
Note: This course was recorded on Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. To upgrade to Yosemite before you begin, watch "Installing and running Mac OS X 10.10 for the first time."
- Working with a laptop versus a desktop computer
- Understanding the five traits almost all applications share in Mac OS X
- Printing on a Mac computer
- Setting up a scanner
- Connecting to the Internet
- Sending and receiving email
- Searching the Internet
- Importing and editing images from a digital camera
- Sharing files
Skill Level Beginner
iOS 7: iPhone and iPad Essential Trainingwith Garrick Chow8h 21m Appropriate for all
Mac OS X Yosemite Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 4m Appropriate for all
1. Introduction to Computers
2. Introduction to Operating Systems
3. Introduction to Software and Applications
4. Introduction to Computer Peripherals
5. Introduction to Networks and Getting Online
6. Introduction to Email
7. Introduction to Internet Searching
8. Introduction to Word Processing and Spreadsheets
9. Introduction to Photo and Image Management
10. Introduction to Sharing Files
What's next?1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.