If you give presentations and want to ensure your Mac computer never turns off the display or goes to sleep during the presentation, you might like a free app named Caffeine. In this movie, you will know how to download and install Caffeine from the App store, adjust settings to suit your needs, and turn Caffeine on and off as needed.
- [Voiceover] In an earlier movie, we checked out some system preferences for energy saving. This would allow you to, for example, automatically have your display or your monitor go to sleep after a certain amount of inactivity. Well, this can be a problem for people giving presentations, say, on a MacBook laptop. In that case, there's a free app that will help you whenever you are giving a presentation. It's called Caffeine. We're going to take a look at it now. We'll go up to the Apple menu, go to the App Store, and in the top right corner, click there, and just type in Caffeine.
When you press Return, you're going to see the top result here. It's a utility, it's got a very high rating. Click the Get button and then click Install App to install it on your Mac computer. Now, again, if you're giving presentations, this is very popular to those people who don't want their screen automatically going to sleep. You're stuck on a slide, you're talking, discussing what's on the slide, and then all of a sudden, it disappears. Very embarrassing. Well, once it's downloaded and installed, click the Open button, and you'll see a little window.
This is something that kind of hides in the background and runs up here on your menu bar. Looks like a coffee cup. Notice that there's keyboard shortcuts as well, right click or Command click the menu bar icon to show the Caffeine menu up here. Then there are some settings we can choose from like automatically starting this when we login to our Mac computer. I'm going to turn that one on. Activate Caffeine every time you launch, well, you may not want to do that, you may only want it activated when, say, you're giving a presentation.
You can see this message when you start Caffeine, this little window if this stays checked off. The default duration, you can see, set to indefinitely, but we can choose all the way from five minutes to five hours. Let's leave it indefinitely until we close it up. So, we'll close this window, and if we were giving a presentation, we would go up to the Caffeine icon, the coffee cup icon on the menu bar. Remember, you can Command click or right click, and from here, access those preferences, or Activate For, there it is.
The default is indefinitely and now you can see how the icons changed. So, if your display settings are set to maybe shut off the display after five, ten minutes, half an hour, that won't happen, so long as Caffeine is running. So, you'll avoid that embarrassing moment where you're giving a presentation and your screen goes blank. I'm going to go up to the App Store here and quit. At any time, you can go back and right click or Command click, go down to Quit when you're done, and access it anytime you need.
From Spotlight, it'll show up on your menu bar when you need it.
- Using the keyboard and gestures
- Exploring the desktop, Apple menu, Finder, and dock
- Finding files and folders
- Locating files with Spotlight
- Launching and quitting applications
- Task switching with Mission Control
- Transferring files from Windows to Mac
- Transferring mail and address books
- Connecting printers, cameras, and Bluetooth devices
- Getting online
- Adjusting settings in System Preferences
- Getting the best free apps from the App Store