Sean sets up Apple Remote Desktop to work on El Capitan systems from a remote location. Learn important administrative tools like install, copy, and remote command line utilization without opening ssh on the client side. Learn about scheduling of activities, and find out how to easily group systems together into useful administrative groups.
- Earlier in this chapter, we talked about…the remote monitoring capabilities…of Apple Remote Desktop, that you can kind of…hack your way into by using Unix commands.…But ARD has its own remote monitoring capabilities…built in that are intended to do that.…For example, the ability to run reports on systems,…and the ability to do things like control…or remotely observe what's happening on a user's screen.…You can do this not only for one system at a time,…but also for entire groups of systems at a time.…
This can be an extremely useful way to curtail…inappropriate use of technology…in places like university labs, etcetera,…by simply going into observe mode,…and putting that whole screen of what's going on…on everybody's screen in the lab…up on a great, big HDTV for everybody to see.…Privacy issue? Maybe.…Way to keep everybody working?…Yup, absolutely.…So, let's take a look at how we would go about doing that.…I mean, it's really very easy.…If I click Observe, I get my window opened up here…and I can go full screen if I want to,…
- Understanding the El Capitan system requirements
- Installing and configuring El Capitan
- Protecting user data
- Performing a partial or full-system recover with Time Machine
- Installing applications
- Managing application preferences
- Monitoring the system
- Configuring security
- Directory binding
- Troubleshooting problems
- Understanding Spotlight problems and how to fix them
- Collecting system information
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Assessing and Planning
Get the most for your money6m 49s
2. Installing and Configuring
CoreStorage in El Capitan4m 22s
3. Protecting User Data
4. Application Management
5. System Monitoring
7. Networking and Directory Integration
8. Troubleshooting Common Problems
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.