Explore Apple's system assessment tool, the Activity Monitor. Leverage a simple graphical interface to troubleshoot an OS X system. Learn how the application works and how to use it as a system administrator. Learn when to skip Activity Monitor and use other tools, how to read the graphs, and how to interpret the information presented within the application.
- [Voiceover] Beyond the command line…process monitoring tools that are available,…you also have local graphic user interface tools…that really are beautiful…and allow you to sample the processes…and look at performance on a system…and if you have local access to a system…and can use them,…they are certainly a great way to go…so I wanted to show those to you now.…Click Go,…go to the Utilities folder…and double click on Activity Monitor…and Activity Monitor is just a wealth of information.…
You certainly have the ability…to look at things sorted on CPU,…that's that first tab here,…and these menus can all be sorted by clicking on them.…You can reverse the sort order…by clicking on the little caret or arrow icon…that's right next to the label there.…So you can search on CPU,…load certainly and the percent of CPU utilization…but you also have really easy to look at…Memory, Energy, Disk and Network areas here.…I want to talk about a few of these right here.…
So Memory gives you this great…memory pressure graph down here…
- Understanding the El Capitan system requirements
- Installing and configuring El Capitan
- Protecting user data
- Performing a partial or full-system recover with Time Machine
- Installing applications
- Managing application preferences
- Monitoring the system
- Configuring security
- Directory binding
- Troubleshooting problems
- Understanding Spotlight problems and how to fix them
- Collecting system information
Skill Level Intermediate
Mac OS X El Capitan Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 13m Appropriate for all
1. Assessing and Planning
Get the most for your money6m 49s
2. Installing and Configuring
CoreStorage in El Capitan4m 22s
3. Protecting User Data
4. Application Management
5. System Monitoring
7. Networking and Directory Integration
8. Troubleshooting Common Problems
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.