The menu bar on a Mac computer allows users to display shortcut icons to certain preferences as menu extras in the top right corner. In this video, you will access system preferences for such functions as speaker volume and date and time settings to choose whether to display shortcut icons on the menu bar or remove them.
- [Voiceover] Another area of the Mac desktop…that is fully customizable…is what's appearing top righthand corner on our menu bar.…Yours may be different from mine.…For example, you might be seeing the date and time.…Maybe you see your login name showing up here…where you can go to quickly access that to log out,…and log in as a different user.…Well, these are all options that have their own settings…and options to appear on the menu bar.…I'm just seeing Spotlight and my Notifications icon.…While we don't actually customize the menu bar,…we customize those options…we want appearing on the menu bar.…
Let me show you what I'm talking about.…We'll go up here to the Apple menu, give it a click,…and select System Preferences.…Let's say we do want the date and time…showing up there,…or maybe you don't and you want to turn it off.…That means going to the Date & Time settings,…selecting it from here.…Without having to change up the date, the time,…the time zone et cetera,…that's all customizable.…But go to the Clock tab…
- Using the keyboard and gestures
- Exploring the desktop, Apple menu, Finder, and dock
- Finding files and folders
- Locating files with Spotlight
- Launching and quitting applications
- Task switching with Mission Control
- Transferring files from Windows to Mac
- Transferring mail and address books
- Connecting printers, cameras, and Bluetooth devices
- Getting online
- Adjusting settings in System Preferences
- Getting the best free apps from the App Store
Skill Level Intermediate
Mac OS X El Capitan Essential Trainingwith Nick Brazzi8h 13m Appropriate for all
Office for Mac 2016 New Featureswith David Rivers1h 31m Beginner
1. Navigate the Mac
2. The Mac Interface
3. Work with Files and Folders
4. Search on the Mac
5. Work with Applications on the Mac
6. Moving Day
7. Hardware on the Mac
8. Get Online with Your Mac
9. Set System Preferences
10. Top 5 Free Mac Apps
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.